Friday 21 February 2014

PRO CHAT WITH JESSICA


Segun Allinson is a wedding photographer who works in Lagos. He is also the CEO of Ace Koncept Photography, he has been shooting since 2010 and has has gone from shooting nature/outdoor and now weddings and events. Enjoy this brilliant interview and leave a comment. I’m sure he would appreciate it.




Tell us a little bit about yourself?
My name is Segun Ahmed Allinson, I am an indigene of Ogun State, Sagamu. I am from a large family of nine children and I am the 7th child. I’m a Christian, I love to meet new people and I love photography.

Where is home?
Home is where I am most free, especially with friends and we are having a good laugh. That’s home.

Did you study photography as a course in any institution?
I fell in love with photography in an academic environment. But I didn’t study photography as a course.

How long have you been a photographer?
I have been a photographer for four years now.

When did you realize you wanted to be a photographer?
I have always loved photography; my friend told me I am supposed to be a photographer and that he was too sure I won’t be jobless when I become a photographer. And because it was something I believed in, I resigned from my paid employment and pursued photography.

How would you describe your style of photography?
Free style. I started as a nature photographer. It was all about landscape, skylines and flying objects. I really don’t like studios; I express myself more when I shoot outdoors. So I can’t really say I have a particular style though I’m more of a wedding/event photographer now. We can’t say what tomorrow could be. I love taking surprise pictures. Innocent pictures, pictures people are not aware of.

How have you evolved as a photographer from your first days at this craft?
When I started photography I was shy and it felt sort of strange but now I am more confident. I turn every disadvantage to an advantage now. I have grown wiser, when a flash stops working I turn it around for my good now.

What type of cameras do you shoot with?
I started shooting with Nikon, but now I prefer a canon, I love canons

What is your favourite photography accessory, other than your camera?
My lens!!!


If you had to choose one lens which one would it be and why?
I would choose my 11-100mm, it’s a wide angle lens!

Best piece of advice you ever received about photography?
Understand your camera. That was said to me by my brother and boss. Mr. Babajide Oguntuyi (Jendomatic photography).

What lighting equipment do you take on a shoot?
The environment matters, but for outdoors I take the reflectors with me, but for indoor I just use the softbox.

What’s your favourite computer/editing accessory, other than your computer?
There really isn’t any best for me, but you can’t go wrong with Light room, Photoshop and for a quickie Picasa.

How important is Photoshop in your final images?
I try not to make Photoshop important. A good image really doesn’t need editing. Understand your camera and work with it. But for me I can live without Photoshop. (Confidence ti poju)


Do you plan on buying any new equipment and if so what do you have your eyes on
Yes I do, I plan on buy a 35mm, 100mm lens and a Mac airbook airies.

Most challenging shoot you’ve been on?
I won’t call it most challenging, but let’s just say difficult clients. I try to meet clients at least once before the proposed day of the shoot to make them feel free with me before the said day. Sometime I get contacted by some else and I am supposed to shoot someone else, that can be a bit tricky but I try to make time to meet the person being shot so we have fore knowledge of each other and what the shoot will entail. But so clients can just be unreasonably difficult.

You’ve just been given a blank check to go shoot anywhere in the world for a week – where would that be and why?
I would pick Brazil! From the skylines to the ghetto, suburbs everything in brazil is fascinating. I pick Brazil because Brazilians are very colourful people.

What has photography taught you?
It has taught me that there is beauty in everything. If you look close enough you will find beauty in everything.


Favourite saying while you’re shooting?
I stress my “thank you” a lot and people always ask why I say so much thank you. When taking group photographs I say “next!” or “okay”.

How do you educate yourself to take better photos?
In photography every day you pick up your camera, you learn something new. I have made it a point of duty to always take a better shoot than the last one. Then I try to read up on latest treads in photography, i.e. lighting, software, cameras etc

Do you have an assistant/2nd shooter that accompanies you on wedding assignments?
Yes I do. Depending on my agreement with the client or the magnitude of the event, because assistants get paid too!

What do you feel is the most challenging about photographing weddings?
Getting the bride and the groom to smile at the camera (if they are not camera friendly). People mistaking you and your obviously expensive camera for a #100 picture guy and you to explain to them “ooh it for the couple”. Rudeness from people at events; some people believe you must be hungry to be a photographer.

A wedding photographer who inspires you is?
Ade Plumtre

A website and/or blog you visit often?
Facebook: My fanpage
New York Institute of Photography
Photoshop professional website and wedding planner
Of course jessiekonko too


What is Ace Koncept’s marketing advice?
Firstly make sure you deliver quality and not quantity. Customize services to fit you client’s budget. Have a good interpersonal relation skill, don’t be too rigid, don’t give flimsy excuses and don’t be proud. Let it be known that you are an authority in what you do.

If I wasn't not a communicator, I would have liked to be a model walking on runways worldwide. What would you have been?
Business development/marketing manager.

Something you’re still learning?
I’m still learning about life. In photography, I’m still learning about the phenomenon of light and lack of excess editing.

What or who is the greatest love of your life
My late mum, I still love her so much

Something that is overrated?
The general perception of success is overrated. The extent people go to show that they are successful is overrated.

If you could have lunch with anyone who is famous or dead who would it be?
Jesus! Lunch with Jonathan will secure nothing forever but lunch with Jesus who is forever in power is it. It’s not about being a Christian.


Your favourite movie of all time?
I have seen through a lot of good movies o, it’s hard to pick one.

Who would play you in a film (movie) of your life?
Ashton Kutcher. I can be very serious and unserious sometimes, I feel he fits the role. But for a black man I would pick Jamie Foxx.

What would you like to be doing in 5 years from now?
Have a photography institute, have my name on every photographer lips, happily married with kids.


If someone said ‘how can I be the next Ace Koncept?
Don’t ever try to be the next Ace Koncept, be the next you. Go all out and believe in yourself, because if you believe in yourself you can do it. Don’t let people take you down.

Thank you for your time
The pleasure is mine



For inquiries
Twitter:  (@ACE_KONCEPT)
Facebok: https://www.facebook.com/allinsonadesegun
Email: allinsonadesegun@gmail.com



4 comments:

  1. Well said. The sky is your stepping stone and I see you going places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one bruv.....
    love ur comment bout findin beauty in everytin.....many pple need to hear that...so much inferiority complex flyin around...
    big ups man.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oremi Allinson. Sky is just the stepping stone bruv. love u much much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks y'all.... Abeni, mr white, JT una too much... Please spread the word!.... Jessica baby... Gbayi

    ReplyDelete