Monday 12 November 2012

WE LOVE OUR JOBS







The rain was coming down hard on us, most people in the bus was panicking because they have no umbrella with them. When we finally dropped at Oyingbo we were greeted by Kaya (male domestic load carriers) they where even fighting for the bag full of vegetables. I was still trying to understand why these guys were in the rain when I suddenly sighted market women calling for customers.

The day wasn’t bright yet, and the rain was hell bent on coming down on mankind and this women were determined to sale their wares. The shock of that site still lingers in my memory, I am one person who can’t stand the rain, but these women dared the rain to do its worst. Most of them covered their wares with transparent nylons only those with fruits and vegetables left theirs open for mother rain to wash freely for them, with touch lights in their hands they continued to call for customers.

Was it the economy or was it that just like me, they couldn’t stand the thought of staying at home. The economy  is really a big factor but I think they really love what they do, yes they do. I could have used the rain as an excuse to get late to the office, so could these women too. They could have sat t home and wait for the rain to subside, they could have slept, take a hot cup of tea, gist with their neighbor, turn on the TV and watch whatever was on at the moment, but they didn’t, instead they stood up to tell tomorrow I am ready, for the feeding of the children, for the Christmas at hand, for welfare and education of the little one, this market women left the comfort of their homes to make ends meet.

You might argue that the economy has forced them to turn to this part but believe you me, what you do over time becomes a part of you that you can’t let go, this women really love the market, after their family I can bet the market life comes next, just like I love my job. With the way they laughed about what they were discussing, the way they even spoke to the rain to do its worst today, the way they fought for customers and still hugged after a customer was gone, They have come to see the market place as a second home and take it as a haven even with the fights, the incidents and accidents.

Salute to the African woman who believes that come what may…WE WILL SURVIVE.




Dela







No comments:

Post a Comment